First entry in a sporadic series where I’ll share some of my original recipes with you guys on Mondays.
The first one is for my fabuloso Vegan Berry Oatmeal Cookies
A little back story on these, I was bored one night and had the munchies(not that kind) and even though I’m not dieting I’m trying to be good about what I eat. That means I was doing everything in my power to avoid convenience store goodies. I got the idea to whip something up from scratch and saw I had everything I needed…except eggs. I googled “egg substitutes” and the results were not at all appetizing or practical. Then a link lead me to a Vegan site and I discovered that I could just skip the eggs all together. And thus these green bastards were born.
Now I have no nutrition training so I can’t provide any nutrition details for you. I suppose if enough people ask I can calculate them for you. Also note that when it came time to form the cookies I got a little heavy handed. I probably could have made two dozen but instead I ended up with ten. :/
To the recipe:
- 1 cup of uncooked oatmeal
- 1 cup of flour
- 3/4 cup of white sugar
- 2Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 stick of margarine
- pinch or two of salt
- 4 dashes of cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp of baking soda(i think)
- handful of berries(frozen or fresh)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix flour, oatmeal, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon
- Use a small sauce pan to melt the margarine with the white and brown sugar. Once melted allow to cool a bit.
- Puree the berries in a blender or food processor.
- mix all ingredients well
- form cookies and place on a greased baking sheet and bake for about 12 minutes for soft cookies.
Not to toot my own horn but the cookies came out pretty damn good and were a hit among my friends and co workers.
If you try the recipe feel free to leave me some feedback on how you liked it, if you tweaked the recipe, or if you want me to create a special recipe.